• Aa!@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

KOLOS: You didn’t believe all Klingons were soldiers?

ARCHER: I guess I did.

KOLOS: My father was a teacher. My mother, a biologist at the university. They encouraged me to take up the law. Now, all young people want to do is to take up weapons as soon as they can hold them. They’re told there is honor in victory – any victory. What honor is there in a victory over a weaker opponent? Had Duras destroyed that ship, he would have been lauded as a hero of the Empire for murdering helpless refugees. We were a great society, not so long ago. When honor was earned through integrity and acts of true courage, not senseless bloodshed.

From ENT: Judgement

• Infynis@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

There’s another episode near the end of Enterprise, where Dr. Phlox is kidnapped to help a Klingon doctor make Klingon augments, using Dr. Soong’s augment’s DNA. It’s pretty clear in that episode that, while there are Klingons that pursue other professions, they aren’t thought of very highly by the warrior caste.

Also, they have a caste system, so there are definitely Klingons that have to do other jobs, and this likely would have been even more important in the distant past. General Martok in DS9 had difficulty rising through the ranks originally, because he wasn’t from the warrior caste

• Madison420@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The inventor of warp drive would be highly respected, Klingons respect power and warp and specifically matter anti matter reactions are hugely powerful and can (although rarely done) be made into extremely powerful weapons.

• khaosworks@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

You may be thinking of Ch’Pok, the Klingon advocate from DS9: “Rules of Engagement”, where they were trying to extradite Worf on the grounds that he had destroyed a civilian transport.

CH’POK: I look forward to fighting on your terms.

SISKO: This is not a fight. It’s the search for the truth.

CH’POK: The truth must be won. I’ll see you on the battlefield.

And later:

CH’POK: What matters to me is the thrill of the fight, not which side I’m on. And I think we both know the extradition fight is over.

• Dharma Curious@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

It never ceases to amaze me how good the ST community is at remembering these things, despite the kind of staggering amount of media there is in the franchise. Thank you. That is what I was remembering!