As the title asks, how does one actually use HDR for games after upgrading to Plasma 6?

This was the feature I was most excited about, and I can hit the HDR button on my display configuration and it looks like the desktop is going into HDR mode, but so far I have had zero luck enabling the HDR feature in games. Every game I’ve tried had the HDR toggle disabled with no way to enable it.

I am running these games under Proton and I’ve tried both 8-GE and 9 Beta. Any tips?

Edit: probably important to note that I am using an AMD GPU under Wayland

• thadah@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Hi! To enable HDR in most games you will need to set your game in fullscreen. Windowed or Borderless won’t allow you to use HDR functionality.

You’ll also need to use the DXVK_HDR=1 %command% startup variable in steam to enable HDR in any Proton game. Proton 8 and 9 should support HDR without issuez although there are some games that might need additional configuration.

If you use an NVIDIA card, you might need to enable NVAPI with DXVK_ENABLE_NVAPI=1

Happy gaming! :D

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

This only lets you enable hdr in game. Since proton runs under xwayland the hdr info won’t reach the compositor.

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Gamescope supports hdr with --hdr-enabled --hdr-debug-force-output flags and running the game under it doesn’t require xwayland in my understanding. It doesn’t support nvidia though

• million@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

So what is the benefit of KDE’s HDR support at that? Could you do something similar under Gnome and get HDR support in games?

• Lojcs@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

If gnome supports hdr too you can. Kde’s support is a part of the stack that needs to support hdr for it to work. The programs and drivers can speak hdr all they want but if the compositor (kde) doesn’t understand and relay the info to the monitor it won’t work.