I remember that it was possible at one point but now I don’t seem to be able to find the option to do so.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

And I don’t mean cancelling the membership.

Solution: At some point Patreon turned all “Followers” (there used to be an option under the creator name in the 3 dots menu to “follow” someone) into “Free Tier Memberships”. On the website you can’t see these “Free Tier Memberships” under Settings->Memberships. You have to go to each creator you have in your list on the left, go to the membership tab and click on the pencil icon to edit your membership, where you can cancel it.

In the app this whole thing is much easier as you get to see all your memberships including the “Free Tier Memberships” under the memberships point when clicking on your profile. From there you can click on every creator, then on the 3 dots menu in the top right, select “Your membership” and there you can cancel the membership.

I have no idea why this has to be so convoluted.

Edit: Oh and if the creator doesn’t exist anymore you need to block and unblock them again to remove them from your list because you can’t cancel a membership of a creator that doesn’t exist anymore.