• Zozano@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I really don’t understand some company decisions. Are they unaware of how monolithic Steam is? Are they overambitious? Are they ignorant to years of news regarding failed gaming platforms?

Xbox was lucky to have broken into the gaming space all those years ago. Epic is still trying to break even. Stadia is dead in the water. I never heard anyone talk about Geforce NOW. Amico… Lol. SouljaBoy is making another gaming console.

Can I be hired as a consultant, just so I can say “no, this is a bad idea” and be almost certainly right?

• steakmeout@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

You think this is to compete with Steam in the west? Lenovo are a Chinese company, this is for China.

You’re not going to be much of a consultant if you can’t think beyond your limited experience.

• Freeman@lemmy.pub
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Lenovo, under their legion brand, had an egpu enclosure which literally cannot be found.

I really wanted one. Could not for the life of me find one. Still can’t. Had to go with some shit tier razer egpu which I can’t even use the usb/nic cards out of and instead use a usb hub separate.

They still have a site and such but no stock. Literally have never had stock that I could find. They just throw stuff at the wall and see what sticks.

https://www.laptopmag.com/lenovo-legion-boostation-egpu

https://www.lenovo.com/gb/en/p/laptops/legion-laptops/legion-7-series/lenovo-legion-gpu-dock/88gmy701467

We use thinkpads for work. They were hit HARD by supply chains.

I won’t ever believe a Lenovo announcement until I see stock. And even then expect some big bugs. Their new thinkpad Z13/z16 has such an atrocious wake from sleep bug they literally have a pinhole on the bottom cover to manually reset the power (disconnects the battery/power from the mainboard). Like I swear during engineering they were like “put a pinhole reset in the bottom and let’s ship this thing”. To Ben fair is a nice laptop short of that and the power warning on boot you can silence if you dare use less than a 140w usbc power brick