Three separate, unrelated shootings erupted within an hour in Jacksonville Beach, Florida, on Sunday night, leaving one person dead and several hurt, according to authorities.

The first shooting was reported at 7:50 p.m. when two people started firing guns near the Best Western Hotel, Jacksonville Beach police said on Monday.

One bystander was injured and both suspects were injured, police said.

• stoly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

I do find it a bit funny that all of a sudden people in Florida have a problem with spring break partyers after decades of courting them and even allowing abusive assholes like “Girls Gone Wild” to film and exploit there.

• BothsidesistFraud@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

It’s not all of a sudden. The Spring Break crowd has been controversial for decades. Bar and hotel owners of course love them. Locals unaffiliated with the tourism industry are more ambivalent and always have been.

• stoly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Though it does appear to be the first time that a concerted effort has been undertaken to resolve this as a problem.

• stoly@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

For me, what told me the sort of person who goes down there came during some interview during the first Covid spring break where some douchebag is on camera talking about how he wasn’t going to let the “Rona” ruin his good time. I am certain that it’s horrible to live near the places that people frequent.

• body_by_make@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

The only way Florida survives is its tourism industry. It replaces income the state would normally get from income taxes, along with the many other very high taxes Florida has. You can’t have your cake and eat it too.