• Jean-Francois Mezei@mstdn.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

@Deebster@programming.dev @TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world @firefox@fedia.io Why is translation marketed as AI?
    You are hurting Firefox’s image by trying to label raw logic as AI which a buzzword accompanied by a lot more baggage you don’t want to have.

• admiralteal@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

The wide public has accepted calling all LLMs as “AI”. LLMs are probably the best tool to create quality, native-sounding translators. Since LLMs are called “AI”, modern translation engines which are made using LLMs will be called AI.

The other guy is just being a prescriptivist with language. It’s a sentiment I sympathize with and which others have made very coherently, but at some point we have to just accept that the “buzzword” is the way it is going to get used and stop getting bent out of shape about it.

• TropicalDingdong@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Its absolutely not my job to protect Firefox from its self.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/02/13/mozilla-downsizes-as-it-refocuses-on-firefox-and-ai-read-the-memo/

They are the ones who made the announcement and I could give two wiffs of stinky piss about their image. I only care if they make a good product that serves my needs. The microsecond their product ceases to to be a ‘good’ product from my personal viewpoint, I’m dropping them and calling them out on it. They’ve got the best browser in the game rn (imo). Its their game to lose but it looks like they are starting to make some dumb ass choices.

Corporate cheer leading is for sycophants.