How much progress have you made since last time? What new ideas have you stumbled upon, what old ideas have you abandoned? What new projects have you started? What are you working on?

Once again, feel free to share anything you’ve been working on, old or new, simple or complex, tiny or huge, whether you want to share and discuss it, or simply brag about it - or just about anything you feel like sharing!

The monthly thread is the place for you to engage /c/programming_languages on things that you might not have wanted to put up a post for - progress, ideas, maybe even a slick new chair you built in your garage. Share your projects and thoughts on others’ ideas, and most importantly, have a great and productive month!

Also see: https://www.reddit.com/r/ProgrammingLanguages/comments/15ewevk/august_2023_monthly_what_are_you_working_on_thread/

• Walnut356@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Hopefully this month i can finally finish up nand2tetris. I did more or less all of it in rust to learn the language, and i feel like I’m now about as comfortable in it as i am in python. Learning how to build a computer from logic gates was sick, but debugging the compiler has been really draining. The way compilers work is neat, but all sorts of little problems keep coming up that force me to restructure large pieces of it over and over and i’ve lost almost all my momentum.

I’m not sure what I’ll move on to next, maybe something more front-facing like a gui library, or maybe I’ll finally look into anything that might actually provide me skills that will get me a job lol.

• Walnut356@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I read the book. It’s not too difficult to replicate their test’s functionality with rust tests, but i still ended up using their software suite a few times to verify some behavior and get a better understanding of the step-by-step logic for the alu and cpu