Here are some of mine:

[[Cavern Harpy]] – So much ETB shenanigans!

[[Sultai Emissary]] – Nice value card and possibly a really cool payoff if you have something good on top of your library.

[[Moldgraf Scavenger]] – Pauper Goyf??

• Brage@mtgzone.comOP
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sultai Emissary and [[Bayou Groff]] have really good synergy. The Groff is a great manifest target and it can sac the emissary if you play it normally, but I don’t quite see how I can make this work as a deck. It seems most people tend to want to abuse manifest by manifesting something huge and flickering it, but I feel that that line of play is a little bit too convoluted to be worth it, although it is nice that [[Soul Summons]] and [[Ephemerate]] are both white.

I think the trick to playing the Emissary is to have a decent volume of OK manifest targets in the deck, some sac value stuff and not overthinking it too much beyond that.

[[Scythe Tiger]] and [[Rogue Elephant]] are also good value manifest target, but their ETB effects are not so nice if you have them in hand. Perhaps in a sacrifice oriented deck they could be worthwhile if you just sac them as they ETB to trigger something like [[Mortician Beetle]]? Flipping a manifested Tiger in response to a removal spell is quite sexy, though.

• Evu@mtgzone.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Cavern Harpy saw some play in Pauper in the early days. It was used to recur creatures like [[Ravenous Rats]], [[Phyrexian Rager]], [[Chittering Rats]], and [[Gravedigger]]. Ninjas may also have been involved. I think the strategy just got outclassed by other things as new cards entered the format.

• Brage@mtgzone.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

That’s cool to hear! I’m very new so I don’t have a sense of history yet. It’s going to be a fun ride!