Not sure if this was already posted.

The article describes the referenced court case, and the artist’s views and intentions.

Personally, I both loved and hated the idea at first. The more I think about it, the more I find it valuable in some way.

• Conyak@lemmy.tf
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Probably the same way that they do for all of the gentlemen clubs around the world. They wouldn’t care because society is hypocritical. It’s fine for men to do it but the second they are excluded from something it’s not acceptable.

To clarify my standing I think they are both sexist and dumb. If you are going to criticize one then you need to be critical of the other.

• derf82@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

What gentlemen’s club takes money from women and then denies them entry?

Therein lies the problem. They want a woman-only exhibit, then they need to deny men admission from the museum in entirety. But that would probably be detrimental to the museum’s bottom line. But you can’t take money from men and then deny equal access, nor can you do it to women.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

There is a difference between a social club and art exhibition. If this was a social group that organised their own internal art exhibition than more power to them.

• Conyak@lemmy.tf
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Nah. It’s discrimination based on sex period. Doesn’t matter what story you tell yourself.

• Squizzy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Well in that case then we should not have any womens sport teams, they can compete against the men and 90% of them will lose their careers.

Yes it is sex nased discrimination but that is what clubs and societites are for - finding people withnaimilar interests it is why you will not find many straight people in an LGBT book club, or Muslims living among franciscan monk orders.

So if a group of women want to organise a women’s trip every year and have meetings once a month to discuss logistics and decide on plans then I do not think it is sexist of them to want to keep it to women only.