cross-posted from: https://feddit.it/post/6569904

It’s not a typo: plug-in hybrids are used, in real word cases, with ICE much more than anticipated.

In the EU, fuel consumption monitoring devices are required on new cars. They studied over 10% of all cars sold in 2021 and turns out they use way more fuel, and generate way more CO2, than anybody thought.

The gap means that CO2 emissions reduction objectives from transport will be more difficult to reach.

Thruth is, we need less cars, not “better” cars.

• RogueBanana@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

No? The main reason I would consider taking a car over bike or bus is if I am going long travel with family or have multiple passengers. Either way if a car can’t be of use when I need it the most then it’s pointless to me. Might change if the tech and infra improves here but for another few years it is not even an option for me.

• fishos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

So you need a gas car for that one time you might drive 300+ miles. The multiple people part is bullshit since we’re comparing hybrids to full EVs, not hybrids to a bicycle.

So, the one time you might need to drive really far, instead of taking a train, you want to own an hybrid 24/7.

Perfectly proving my point that it’s not a logical argument, it’s an emotional one.

• RogueBanana@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yeah?? Don’t assume things about others. My mom and grandma has serious motion sickness and we have to stop multiple times and take rest when they are with us. If a car that I paid a heavy price for doesn’t satisfy my need then I don’t buy it.