Last month Trump vowed to defend Christianity and urged Christians to vote for him

“This is really a battle between good and evil,” evangelical TV preacher Hank Kunneman says of the slew of criminal charges facing Donald Trump. “There’s something on President Trump that the enemy fears: It’s called the anointing.”

The Nebraska pastor, who was speaking on cable news show “FlashPoint” last summer, is among several voices in Christian media pressing a message of Biblical proportions: The 2024 presidential race is a fight for America’s soul, and a persecuted Trump has God’s protection.

“They’re just trying to bankrupt him. They’re trying to take everything he’s got. They’re trying to put him in prison,” author, media personality and self-proclaimed prophet Lance Wallnau said in October on “The Jim Bakker Show”, an hour-long daily broadcast that focuses on news and revelations about the end times that it says we are living in.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Same thing that happened to Mark 12:17

Then Jesus said to them, “Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him.

And yet they do anything they can to avoid paying taxes.

And let’s not forget Mark 10:25

It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the Kingdom of God.”

Yet they glorify a man who brags about how rich he is.

How is it that I, an atheist Jew, know Jesus better than they do?

• undergroundoverground@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s and to God what is God’s.” And they were amazed at him.

That’s because it was a sidestep answer. In that religion, all things belong to God. Caesar minted the money using their own gold. So, all roman money belonged to caesar and you had to pay your taxes using roman money. The question is then “what exactly is Caesar’s and whats gods?” The rabbis couldn’t follow up with that question without getting crucified themselves.

That “interpretation” of that story came about after king Charles wanted to raise taxes to raise an army to put down an Irish rebellion. Rightly, parliament didn’t trust him to do that and not use the army on them straight after. So, they refused and said the king has no right to force them to do so.

Then, all of a sudden, as if by magic, king Charles was like “you’ll never guess what I just found in the bible. Yup, it says so right here. God says you all have to give me money. I know, I know, I couldn’t believe my luck when I found it too. Good job I’m a king and wouldn’t lie about such things.”

• kromem@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Because you aren’t following “the Spirit” (aka listen to your religious leaders dogmatically and tell yourself you are correct because you misinterpret your confirmation bias as spiritual guidance).