What do you have, what do you recommend, and why?

Asking as I’ve got a lot of spare components lying around that I’m planning on turning into a NAS. If it doesn’t work out I’ll buy a pre-built enclosure and reuse the drives.

• aedyr@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think as a turn-key solution, the prebuilt enclosures are fine. I have a two-bay Synology that works well. If you’ve already got components though, DIY is probably going to give you a lot more granular control. I’m planning on building out a home server rack including a TrueNAS VM or something similar.

• travis@lemmy.blue
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

+1 for running TrueNAS in a VM, I’ve got one running in Proxmox. Make sure to enable hardware passthrough so TrueNAS has direct access to your drives!

• shrugal@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Same. Having all their custom software available and just one click away is amazing, and with Docker you can install everything else just like a regular server. It’s the best of both worlds imo.

• fryman@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Understand that this is a rabbit hole where you’ll hear a million opinions. If you’re just starting out, I’d recommend keeping it simple. It’s been a while since I looked at what’s new, but I’d look at truenas scale or unraid first.

I personally use truenas core (based on freebsd) but truenas scale (based on debian) opens up more options like docker that might be useful in the future.

I recommend sticking to hardware you already own until you run into something that you can’t do. Then you’ll have a better idea of what to look for and how everything works.

• Piatro@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks, the flexibility and closed source (I assume) of turn key solutions puts me off them. I’ve already got a raspberry pi running a few containers and I work with docker and Linux in my day job so I know a decent amount. The form factor of the turnkey solutions is the big draw for me at the moment to them as I’ve just got a spare ATX mid size tower handy. Would ideally replace with smaller case but then I’d need a smaller motherboard and that’s just raising costs for starting out. Potential upgrade path anyway.

• fryman@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I have a node 304 case with an itx board and I wish I’d have gone with something bigger with more expansion slots. Some sata ports died on me so I installed an hba card to give me more. That means I can’t add a 10g nic or a video card for hardware acceleration or…you get the idea. Ideally spend less money now and experiment, then in the future you’ll hopefully learn what suits your needs.

• JoeHill@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I replaced an old prebuilt Windows Home Server with a custom built server running unraid about…7 years ago. unraid has been rock solid for me. Great product. Very scalable for the home user.

Highly recommend unraid and it’s well worth the one time license fee.

• ramblechat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Adding my 2c - I think it depends on if you want something that just works out of the box, or if you want to tinker and play with a DIY solution. I have a Synology DS220+ that just works, is easy to manage, has loads of apps etc. I also have a Raspberry Pi with Openmediavault installed and 3 SSDs attached which required a bit of setup, is more complex to get things working, also has apps (plugins) but is more of a project.

• gds@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I used the cpu/motherboard/ram/psu from a desktop I’d since upgraded, slapped it into a 4u rackmount case I got cheap on Ebay (it looks awful - I think it was previously used in a lab - but it’s solid af), bought a nice big cooler and some noctua fans so it’d run quiet, added an HBA card, 4x shucked 14tb drives and a coupla 1tb m.2s, slapped Unraid on it, and was up and running with an awesome nas for really not that much money. Totally worth it, that thing is awesome.

I will admit it doesn’t look as swanky as a synology, but it was far cheaper, is a lot more capable of non-nas stuff, and every part is standard and upgradeable.

• viniciuspc@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I am in the same situation, my concern about going DIY is the lack of ECC ram, but I don’t know how much this is important.

• Maximilious@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

For a NAS it’s very important because ECC allows write-back to your disks from cache in the event of a power failure. Without this, your data is at risk of being lost or RAID corrupting if you don’t have battery backup and\or your battery backup fails during power outage.

I’m looking at building my own truenas server since my rack is only 22" depth, but I want a 12 bay hotswap array. Very challenging to find an matx board AND chassis that can fit the bill.

• shatteredsteel@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Personally, I use a “scratch built” machine to act as a file server/media server. Someone was going to recycle it at the office, so I added some hard drives and put it in a larger case.

It really comes down to two things in my mind: what can you afford and how deep do you want to follow the rabbit hole?

If you want something quick and easy, sure go for the premade. Nothing wrong with that.

If you want to use it as a learning tool, and add other services, then I think a home spun server is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents.

• YuzuDrink@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I had considered running a DIY for years, and eventually just caved and bought a Synology 1522+ NAS. It lets me run my Plex server and Matrix server, and it just handles all the config and updates for me easily.

The decision was that I wanted to backup my hobbies, not have backup BE my hobby.

• YuzuDrink@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

To clarify, running Plex is easy; running Matrix is very NOT easy… But being a NAS was the easiest part, by far. Stick the drives in, turn on, follow the short manual that came with it to configure, and let it do its thing.

• lemmyng@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Depends on how you intend to maintain it. I started out with a Synology NAS. When that started to give out the ghost I built own so that I could have better control over the software and hardware. It’s now a NAS of Theseus - all the parts (even the OS) have been replaced over time, but it’s still the same “unit”.

The hardest part was deciding on a case. I started with a small form factor as a preference. Nowadays I just pick what gives me good airflow and ease in replacing parts.

• poVoq@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Definitely try re-using what you have already. Just keep in mind that a NAS usually runs 24/7 and old gaming PC parts are usually quite power hungry, so it might cost a lot in terms of electricity.

• Piatro@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah this is definitely a downside to using spare gear over purposeful purchases. I think it makes sense to use what I have and optimise later. I’ve got an old intel i5 and mobo I’m planning on using for the NAS. Need to find another use for my old Ryzen 5 2600X.

• THIS_IS____nothing@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I was going to say this too. It’s fun to have a project to do and to recycle old parts but something custom built for being a NAS will most likely be less power hungry and be less effort to maintain.

• Tash@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I picked up an old Dell Optiplex tower and slapped 4 cheap 4 TB drives in it. Setup as RAID 5 I got 12 TB of “redundant” storage for cheap! Perfect spot to keep all the p0rn torrents.

But I used OpenMediaVault for that deployment. It’s been OK… but I kinda feel that I am missing out on some of the more active developments of other distributions.

Despite that, I would absolutely suggest grabbing an old office computer and throwing some drives into it for a home NAS.

• vividspecter@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s the power usage and physical space that puts me off those kind of solutions. Of course, that varies a lot based on your living circumstances (location, whether you own a house, etc).

• tolle_locke@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I can highly recommend an Asrock j5040 board. It is power efficient and enough for all Docker images I throw at it.

The onlydownside is, that it only has 4 SATA ports and 1 pci x1 connector, makes expanding difficult.

Currently running: Nextcloud, vaultwarden, jellyfin, photoprism, immich and a few other container

• ravnswood@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If you have the knowledge or want to learn about it, and you are willing to deal with these tasks (configuring the system and keep it updated), the DIY approach makes sense.

I was on that situation some months ago, and I didn’t want to spend time in system maintenance, so I bought a NAS device.