This month, a group of mostly Black and immigrant Uber and Lyft drivers in Minneapolis won their fight for a minimum pay rate when the Minneapolis City Council refused to be bullied by the rideshare corporations.

• TechNerdWizard42@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

The whole article reads like it was written by people living in an alternate dimension. I’ve followed the news, the protests, the legislation and ban. I have no dog in the fight, I’m nowhere near MSP and no desire to be.

But they didn’t call Uber’s bluff… Uber called theirs. This is toddler level “no I am not, you are” logic. Uber said, hey if you do this we’re leaving. They did it. Uber left. MSP failed.

Now of you’re in the area and need to get around, you can’t. Taxis are not a possible option. You can blame it on rideshare decimating them. But even in the prime of taxis, they sucked. That’s why Uber took off.

People today pay MORE for an Uber in some cases because they know the cost upfront, they can see when it’s coming, etc. A taxi is a gamble. And people don’t like to gamble especially when it’s on if they’ll be late for work or the airport or an important meeting.