link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

AMD and Intel are not present on a list of processors approved by China’s Information Security Evaluation Center.

The x86 architecture does make the list, but only in chips made by Shanghai Zhaoxin Integrated Circuit Co., Ltd – which is minority-owned by Taiwan’s Via Technologies and holds a license to produce x86 processors.

The other approved chip shops make processors powered by Arm cores or, in the case of Loongson Technologies, the RISC-V architecture.

Second, the Financial Times found it over the weekend and reported that publication of the list accelerated efforts in China to replace Western tech and hardware with locally developed kit.

The FT chatted to some IT shops inside China and they confirmed that they’re phasing out items like PCs running Windows, because shop-at-home mandates have taken force.

Last week, authorities again called on web platforms to police more vigilantly the use of provocative typos and puns that can be construed as criticism of the Chinese Communist Party.

The original article contains 463 words, the summary contains 161 words. Saved 65%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Can’t even source their own chips. Need to buy from the real China, Taiwan.

China is a fucking joke.

Make RISC-V great again

• Aniki 🌱🌿@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

Yeah, only the most dominant, mature, and in-use instruction set.

When was the last time you ran a SPARC binary?

• Aatube@kbin.melroy.org
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

I was gonna say x64, but I just realized that that’s x86.

Anyways, none of these are SPARC either, and if they’re switching to another operating system, it seems logical for them to use ARM since Windows apps can’t run anyway

• emergencyfood@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

authorities again called on web platforms to police more vigilantly the use of provocative typos and puns that can be construed as criticism of the Chinese Communist Party.

Criticism? Jail. Puns? Jail. Spelling mistake? Believe it or not, jail. We have the highest literacy in the world. Because of jail.