• SteveNashFan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

With this character’s death, the thread of prophecy is severed. Restore a saved game to restore the weave of fate, or persist in the doomed world you have created.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Sure would be cool if more games provided consequences for your actions as opposed to being protected through things like nigh-immortal npcs.

• SteveNashFan@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

For sure. After I beat Morrowind, I was impressed to find out it’s possible to kill any character and still beat the main quest if you know what you’re doing. Hopefully as indie development continues to grow we’ll start to see games inspired by it.

Project Tamriel and Tamriel Rebuilt will keep me busy in the meantime.

• Jax@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

BG3 is also a one of a kind game, aside from DOS2 (I personally think BG3 is better).

• Gabu@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Eh, I do think having some immortal NPCs is better design, as it clearly signals to the player “this person is important, stop fucking up”.

• FlihpFlorp@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I think it should be optional sometimes other times let low stakes games and actual choice games do their thing

Most of my Skyrim time is me wanting a low stakes adventure, galavanting across the holds and stabbing dudes and generally enjoying a low stress environment (in terms of consequence)

But sometimes I do wish I could have actual consequences and impact

Idr what game but I was happy my character could change the world but at the same time I was basically freaking out over “omg omg omg what I make the wrong choice or one o didn’t mean to”

It really depends on the player and like I said I don’t want every game to be devoid of meaningful choice but at the same time I don’t want to worry about stepping on the wrong blade of grass

Thank you for coming to my insane rambling