Does kbin support cross posting? In lemmy if there is a post that I like I can “cross post” to another relevant community. Is that a thing here?

• vraylle@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Don’t know about rules or policy, but personally the occasional cross-post doesn’t bother me. But if I get a streak of the same post in multiple communities (and/or across servers) I block the user. Had two today where I saw thirteen of the same post in a row, but the same person, across two instances. Blocked.

• bluGill@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

The fedvers needs an algorithm to automatic merge communities when the same thing us shared to more than one.

Easy go say, but many complex details have to be right or it will be annoying not helpful.

• tjhart85@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I completely disagree with this.

I’ve frequently seen 3-4 ‘equivalent’ posts in different instance’s implementations of ‘technology’ (for instance) and the focus of the comments can be completely different. One on an infosec instance will have a completely different perspective than one on a Star Trek instance vs one on a completely generic instance, which leads to some interesting conversations that might get drowned out if everything were mixed together.

For me, I find this to be a large win and if it means I have to open 3-4 different threads, so be it.

• bluGill@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

That is what makes it hard. I often see the post in different communities with essentially the same discussion. That needs to be merged. However as you say it can also be in a different community with a different focus that shouldn’t be.

• tjhart85@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

Blah, we’re screwed either way.

Either you get fragmented theads where true conversation is stifled just by there not being enough people to talk to or you get too many people and the little niche conversations get drowned out and/or never happen.