• dual_sport_dork@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Fuggin’ finally. Hopefully they come up with something in those 8 new models considerably more compelling than the current singular option, which is the completely lackluster Solterra.

For all the noise they make on their bumpers on NPR about being “carbon neutral,” or whatever the hell, they have certainly taken their sweet time in getting on the electric vehicle train. Given Subaru’s track record (in North America, at least) of appealing squarely to the granola crowd, I always found this a little puzzling.

Time will tell if they keep this sensible, if they fall prey to trying to load their cars with all kinds of touch screen and subscription garbage. Subaru thinks they know what “consumers” want, I’m sure. Well, here’s what I want: My current Crosstrek, exactly like it is, but with a decent electric powerplant in it and reasonably quick fast charging. That’s it. Just like it is. Manual transmission and all, if I could get away with it. No 20" touch screen, no physical controls missing, no electronic parking brake, no app, no wi-fi, no bullshit.

• variaatio@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Well some EV models do have free wheeling clutches. However that usually works with just two pedals. If you press neither “give me torque” (accelerator) or “give me negative torque” (brake), ECU orders a free wheeling clutch automatically open to remove the drag of spinning around the electric motor rotor. Atleast some Porches do this with their front axle on AWD cars for efficiency.

I guess nothing really would prevent doing it on main axle or both axles on AWD, except maybe reaction time. It takes that couple milliseconds for actuator to close the clutch/let the clutch close on biased closed system.

• variaatio@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Eh… yes. Probably. 5 years is development timeline for new platform. Like how VW MEB took from 2015 announcement to 2020 to be on the market.

However 3 years is more normal for individual model. Given its by 2028, I assume its mix of already in works model coming along earlier on and then new platform and model range in 2028. Hey Reading helps first 4 models by 26 and then next 4 by 28. So I would assume 4 old platform models now and they develop new platform to launch 4 models in 27-28. I would assume probably joint platform atleast partly with Toyota. Platforms are expensive to develop.

• SulaymanF@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

Putting your snark aside, why did they start now rather than years ago when it was obvious EVs were the future?

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

At one point, they did say they were too small to be able to develop the new platform, so would look for partners. Now we know it was Toyota, but Toyota was also late to the party

• variaatio@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          11 months ago

Stupidity? Lack of foresight? You really should direct this question to Subaru instead of me.