• Aa!@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Seems to me this has spawned a fair bit of discussion… Which is the actual reason we’re all here.

Sync has gotten a lot of buzz (I don’t understand why, even on Reddit, rif was always better anyway) and that’s always going to bring out the people who don’t agree, for one reason or another.

Don’t mistake an opinion you don’t share for anything beyond what it is. I could just as easily parrot your statement back: if you don’t think this discussion is productive, just ignore it. There’s plenty of other discussions to get involved with on Lemmy

• Takumidesh@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Sync gained a big following because it had a core feature many many moons ago, when having constant cell service was much less common, it allowed you download and save hundreds of posts and all the comments while you were on wifi, so you could browse reddit offline, it did this automatically and in the background (based on your settings ) hence the name ‘Sync’. This was a killer feature back in the day, at least for me. As that became less of a need, the app continued to change and add a lot of nice features, like lots of customizations, random NSFW, a very good OLED dark mode, etc, so there was no point in switching to something else.

My .02¢

• TheOneAndOnly@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

RiF was all I ever used. Never even heard of Sync until I migrated to Lemmy at the end of June. Fwiw, I found Connect rather quickly, and it feels almost exactly like RiF. Enough that it scratches the itch. I tried Sync for about an hour today… It’s fine enough… But I can’t figure out what it has that Connect doesn’t. Maybe it’s just that everyone who used Sync was just comfortable and didn’t want to change. I’m fine with it being a paid app, or subscription, or whatever dude decides to do to help support himself, too…I just don’t get the hubbub when there’s a perfectly excellent free alternative in Connect.

• Aa!@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        11 months ago

Yeah, Sync was fine, just nothing special for me. I’m pretty sure it’s mostly just people who want the same experience they had on Reddit.

I adapted to Voyager pretty quickly, and the only real issue I’ve had with it was that it didn’t handle it well when .world went down, but that’s improved enough now. I’m not the biggest fan of the swipe gestures, as they’ve made me accidentally vote on a lot of things without noticing, but it’s nothing I can’t get used to.

I don’t need it to be exactly like it was before. I’m satisfied with something simple that does the job.

• TheOneAndOnly@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Did you use them both? I did not. I can say I loved RiF, but I’d never even heard of Sync until about a month ago. Be interested to hear the opinion of one who’d used both…

• wahming@monyet.cc
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          11 months ago

I have. A lot of it boils down to personal preference in how you prefer your app to behave and look like. Customization can only get you so far. UI aside, they were both pretty feature complete.