I am working with a neighborhood organization to improve tree canopy in my urban area. I got involved with my neighborhood association and another org in an effort to build and strengthen my community. I would love to take more action but I’m not sure what or how. Starting to see now that working together with people helps make us more resilient

• Bakachu@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I think the key to greater change in ourselves and our communities is through small changes. Thats the way to get me prepared for bigger changes that might be required further on down the road. So I do the following things for myself and to maybe influence others in feasible ways:

1. Low-meat diet - do a vegetarian or pescatarian day every now and then, and reduce overall meat intake (I still love meat but save high meat days for special occasions)

2. Switch up transportation on nice weather days. I have a car, motorcycle, and e-bike. The car is used primarily for trips that are in inclement weather, when I need extra safety (sketchy area, at night, or I’m not feeling well), or need to haul stuff. I use the motorcycle and ebike for everything else. Less/no emissions and puts me in a great mood.

3. Always have camping utensils, thermos, and bags. Reusable bags for tons of situations. Camping utensils replace disposable utensils at eateries. Thermos for my bevs so no need to buy plastic bottled bevs or use plastic cups. I also always take my own food containers with me to restaurants and use those instead of the restaurants for take home leftovers and let me tell you - they really appreciate that.

4. Thrift my outfits. Online and traditional thrift stores. I sell them for cheap on online sites or donate when I get tired of them. About half my wardrobe is thrifted.

5. Be kind to others and myself. I think this is the most important thing. A good feeling goes a long way towards caring about bigger and bigger things. Keeps us all connected.

• Bakachu@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

ThredUp, Mercari, and Poshmark are my go-to’s right now. If theres something specific im looking for, sometimes eBay. There’s secondhand sites like DePop and Vinted that offer more specialty vintage items, and then other sites that offer secondhand luxury/designer.

Oh and if you get into thrifting make sure you get a de-piller. They take off all the little clothing nubs and make stuff look new.

• isthingoneventhis@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

If you are really savvy with tags and refined searches, Etsy is still an alright place to find awesome “vintage” (thrifty) stuff. It just takes a little bit of work but once you have sorted, it really is quite alright.

• _thisdot@infosec.pub
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Not all meat is bad right? My understanding is that cattle farming is harmful to the environment because cows fart methane