I am working with a neighborhood organization to improve tree canopy in my urban area. I got involved with my neighborhood association and another org in an effort to build and strengthen my community. I would love to take more action but I’m not sure what or how. Starting to see now that working together with people helps make us more resilient

• swordsmanluke@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Did you bother to look at exactly which 100 companies these are?

Spoiler alert, they are oil energy production companies.

Got rid of your petroleum-burning car? Great! But I hope you don’t ever buy literally anything, because shipping still runs on petroleum. Fun fact, most semis get around 6 MPG.

Oh, also, don’t use the internet. Even if your local power is renewable, the electric grid on the whole runs on fossil fuels. Your house electric could be green, but the majority of the switches, routers, servers and miscellany of the rest of the internet sure don’t.

It’s unrealistic to expect everyone to completely disentangle their lives from using our nation’s energy production systems. Sure, if we all went completely off-grid, we’d generate less greenhouse emissions. Of course, millions would starve due to the impossibility of scaling small-scale agriculture to feed us all.

All of us are supported by a huge infrastructure based on burning fossil fuels. Without regulating that industry, the only choice we can make is to leave society entirely.