I am working with a neighborhood organization to improve tree canopy in my urban area. I got involved with my neighborhood association and another org in an effort to build and strengthen my community. I would love to take more action but I’m not sure what or how. Starting to see now that working together with people helps make us more resilient

• Muddy 🌱@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

I’ve swapped planes for trains, omnivore diet for vegan, I travel by bus in my everyday life, and am a member of a car collective for those few times a year I actually need a car myself.

I don’t preach any of these things, but I talk about it / mention it when it’s brought up. Everyone somewhat close to me knows about my lifestyle. My philosophy is to show it’s not only possible to live like I am, but that I can still enjoy my life to the fullest in doing so.

I also support local organisations and political movements financially, and vote for the parties I believe have the best plans for the future.

• Muddy 🌱@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I’m in Norway. There are plenty of different ones depending on where you live.

You pay a membership fee, and for the use of the car (based on hours used and kilometers travelled). You get a card which opens any car you’ve booked, and you are free to use it as you wish until your booked time is up. Then you return it to where you found it.

I’ve used it for moving (borrowing large vans), intercity travel during covid (to avoid the bus), and longer summer trips in the mountains. My go to car is a Skoda citigo. A small electrical vehicle. Just large enough for two people and their bags.