I’m rocking the Hifiman Sundaras. What about you guys?

• Pap3r@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

For at least the last 20 years my main cans have been a pair of the Sony MDR-V6.

• SCmSTR@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

As a kid growing up, my grandparents gave my brother (older) and I each some nice headphones. He got Sennheiser 595s, and I don’t know what I got, But I liked them a lot and brought him to school in my backpack one time.

Don’t put full sized over ear headphones in backpacks. They break.

My parents bought me a replacement. Sony MDR-V600. I didn’t know how shitty those were for a very long time.

They are not the same as the Sony MDR-V6, but I honestly don’t know how different since I’ve never heard the V6. There’s a pretty big price difference and the V6s have way better reviews.

I miss my V600s. I still have them, but their fabrics are in shreds just from age, and there’s no room in the ear cups, at all. The main cable insulation broke open years ago and I’ve since gotten new headphones…

But man. That Sony sound, even on my shitty old V600s. Kind of makes me want to get a pair of 7506s or V6s.

Have you had to repair anything on your V6s?

• Pap3r@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I love a good story about headphones that mean something to someone. Thanks for sharing!

I’ve replaced the ear pads twice and the most recent one have been amazing. Very light on my head and more breathable that the originals and the first replacements I found. I can find out which one I have on them now and link them here if you’d like.

I also like to tinker a bit and was looking for a soldering project around the same time I kept seeing everyone with their headphones and cool detachable cables. So I bit the bullet and modded my V-6s with the detachable cable mod. Certainly something I didn’t have to do but it came out great and made these cans even more special to me.

• SCmSTR@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 months ago

I am curious. If it wouldn’t be too much hassle, I’d be interested in what you found are superior.

• Pap3r@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            11 months ago

BRAINWAVZ Perforated Replacement Earpads for Sony MDR 7506, V6 & CD900ST with Memory Foam Ear Pad & Suitable for Other On Ear Headphones (Black) https://a.co/d/5z8ZVVe

These are the most recent Earpads I have on my V-6s.

No signs of of wear at all and I’ve had them about a year and a half.