link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

🤖 I’m a bot that provides automatic summaries for articles:

Click here to see the summary

The Legal Defense Fund (LDF), an organization that focuses on racial and civil rights, along with an Alabama-based private law firm, filed a preliminary injunction to force Newbern, a town of about 133 people, to hold elections and allow its citizens to vote for the first time in years.

Previous Newbern mayors had also been appointed or ran unopposed, with several of the officers serving in the position for more than 10 years.

Though the white officials have not recognized his position, Braxton has continued trying to serve as mayor, using his own funds to host events and food distribution drives.

The LDF suit aims to give all citizens in the town an opportunity to vote – something that would be history making.

“For decades, officials in my town have excluded me and other voters from participating in elections and having a say in what happens here,” Braxton said in a statement provided by the LDF.

We ask the courts to enforce elections in Newbern this November so that we can cast our ballots and actively participate in the democratic process.”

Saved 64% of original text.