• jarfil@beehaw.org
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

If they are an incorporated plece, and they get the whole shebang of taxes, funding, elections, etc., then they need someone to run it, or a “government”.

Guess it sometimes could be hard to tell, with all the varying rules, but people who live there… are there places in the “deep US”, where people live in anarchy?

(sometimes it might also be the case where an incorporated town, through depopulation, ends up with nobody willing to act as mayor, but that’s different)

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Sounds like the first vote I would want is to unincorporate, I dont want some small town good ol boys telling me what to do.

• jarfil@beehaw.org
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I might be wrong, but it seems to me like unincorporated places would depend on county level, or some larger place, good boys telling you what to do. I’m guessing it also comes with a budget, taken out of the residents taxes, for stuff like services, police… elected official’s pay… and similar.

At a population of 133, it sounds more like a HOA, but dunno.

• CableMonster@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

You are right, but I would prefer good ol boys in a different town that tend to not know I exist and let me and my neighbors do our own thing.