• Schal330@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

The article didn’t really have any substance. To sum it up: “3 Body Problem shouldn’t have been associated with GoT. The book is better. Don’t like it? Watch Battlestar Galactica!”

90% of the time book to movie/TV adaptations have an interior outcome, but the standard of the content produced is still great in its own way.

I haven’t read 3 Body Problem, but I did enjoy the show. I’m looking forward to another season.

• Kit Sorens@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Read the book please… The trillogy* is on Audible. Some truly terrifying stuff. Like, >!living in a dying universe that was once an infinite garden because of the dark forest attacks that flattened spacetime into fewer dimensions, which could happen again.!<

*the last book (or some 4th book, I forgot) isn’t written by Chixen Liu, but they liked it so much they wrote off on publishing it in the series as a means to wrap up some critical questions.

• nik9000@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I listened to the first one on audible a while back and didn’t like it so much. I had trouble connecting with the charcters. The ideas were good and from what I hear about the next ones they are even more fun. But maybe it was a translation thing. Or a style thing or a cultural thing. It felt more like Clark than Card. I feel like the show made an effort to make the characters easier for me to connect with and I appreciate that.

The article does have a point for me though- linking the Game of Thrones folks in the marketing feels like a mistake. I don’t trust them.

• hansl@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

From what I heard, even in the original Chinese the characters are badly written. Liu Cixin just doesn’t know how to write compelling characters.

• Kit Sorens@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Cultural, for sure. I had to tough it out for the first bit, only really liking the detective. But then when all the main characters got replaced over and over, I began to see humanity as the main character, collectively, and then I was hooked, which I’m sure was the intent as the story spans >!all of time in the universe 2 times over,!< It’s worth revisiting.

• Dkarma@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I don’t get why that’s supposed to be scary. Oh no 4th dimension smush and instant death…