Diplomats say Putin’s brutalisation of Ukraine has brought back darkest memories of occupation under Stalin

Nato must be ready for Russia launching an “existential” war against the Baltic states “masked by a blizzard of disinformation”, ambassadors from the three countries have warned.

Writing exclusively for The Sunday Telegraph, the top diplomats to the UK from Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania said that Russia could “pivot quickly” from Ukraine to invade the Baltic.

And they said that Vladimir Putin’s brutalisation of Ukraine is evoking the three countries’ “darkest memories” of occupation under Stalin.

The Estonian ambassador Viljar Lubi, the Latvian ambassador Ivita Burmistre, and Lithuania’s charge d’affaire Lina Zigmantaite, wrote the joint article to mark Friday’s 20 year anniversary of their countries acceding to Nato.

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Ah my bad. It’s still early in my part of the world. So hadn’t Trump also been talking about NATO in a manner that kind of undermined its strength and encouraged an attack from Russia during his presidency as well?

• Eggyhead@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I see. It was kind of Ukraine’s choice, but US and UK saying they’d have Ukraine’s back probably tipped the scales significantly. I understand why Putin wouldn’t want such a close neighbor being a NATO member, and preemptively laid claim to the territory and started a war that (surprise, surprise) US and UK don’t like financing. Still, I think Putin might not have been so bold if Trump wasn’t such a fanboy and there had been some actual repurcussions for Crimea under Obama.

• Linkerbaan@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Possibly but if Biden actually cared he could have sent them far more weapons by now. Instead Ukraine seems to be used to bleed Russia dry and when all the Ukrainians are dead cannon fodder America is just going to leave it.

Currently Biden is able to send weapons to Ukraine just like how he did for israel, yet Biden is not using those options.

• Natanael@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            3 months ago

You know there’s completely different preexisting laws and contracts for the two and that he can’t for precisely that reason. You’re a liar