JK Rowling has challenged Scotland’s new hate crime law in a series of social media posts - inviting police to arrest her if they believe she has committed an offence.

The Harry Potter author, who lives in Edinburgh, described several transgender women as men, including convicted prisoners, trans activists and other public figures.

She said “freedom of speech and belief” was at an end if accurate description of biological sex was outlawed.

Earlier, Scotland’s first minister Humza Yousaf said the new law would deal with a “rising tide of hatred”.

The Hate Crime and Public Order (Scotland) Act 2021 creates a new crime of “stirring up hatred” relating to age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, transgender identity or being intersex.

Ms Rowling, who has long been a critic of some trans activism, posted on X on the day the new legislation came into force.

• saintshenanigans@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Yeah there’s a lot of ambiguity in the law, they try to define it but they use “what a reasonable person would believe” a bunch, which leaves a LOT of room for interpretation. If a bigot is in power, none of it is unreasonable to him.

I’m not sure how i would fix it though, theyre trying to address a serious flaw in the modern world, Because intentional or not some of these personalities inspire actions that get people hurt or killed… its a bit of a double edged sword

• gapbetweenus@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Governments have a bad track record (in my opinion) when it comes to vaguely defined laws.

I would absolutely agree that we have a gigantic problem with modern forms of mass communication. For me it’s beyond just bigots spewing hate but also foreign governments influencing people. For example in Germany a lot of far right AFD talking points has obvious roots in russian media propaganda. And I will not pretend that I have any kind of answer but I feel like it has to go deeper than trying to regulate specific cases of speech.