I just got a bill for a Wayfair credit card that was issued by Citi bank that I did not apply for. I never even shopped on that website.

I tried contacting both Citi bank and Wayfair, but since I don’t have the full account number, I couldn’t get past Citi’s automated phone menu.

Wayfair’s phone system was a fucking nightmare getting transferred to various departments, but eventually transferred me to a foreign call center where they insisted that they needed my social security number and birth date to file a report, but I’m not giving them that.

The best thing is that the scammer managed to get a higher credit limit than I was able to get on my own card.

• Granite@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Start with a local police report and take that to the credit bureaus; that way you don’t have to deal with Wayfair itself.

• CosmicTurtle@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Look into the benefits offered by your other credit cards. My identity was stolen a few years ago and I learned like a few months ago that one of my credit cards offers free identity protection services if/when your identity gets stolen.

They handle all of the annoying shit like contacting the bank, getting the debt off of your credit card, etc.

If not, and you were part of the Equifax (or any) hack, you likely have this same service available to you for free.

• Matt@lemmy.blahaj.zone
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I’ve had all my credit frozen for several years, ever since I got a call from Best Buy about someone trying to setup a credit card in my name. I since had a report that my credit line at sprint was declined because my credit was frozen. It’s no big deal to freeze and thaw.

• ryathal@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Locking credit doesn’t prevent it from changing, it just makes it so no one can get your report until you unlock it. This should be the default behavior, but it would prevent these companies from making as much money.

• OtisRamflow@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

Yeah locking it just means nobody can open new lines of credit on the social security number. Then you can use multi factor authentication on the different bureau sites. You’ll need to lock it on all three… Which sucks.

It’s annoying, it’s stupid that we have to do this. But you gotta look out for yourself.

• LifeOfChance@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

There is a randomly generated password you get when you freeze it. DONT LOSE IT!! Its a bitch to recover if you do. One of them gives you a list of like 25 different ones you can use (you just type one of the 25 from the list)

• Veedem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Wayfair won’t be able to help you. You have to go through Citi if you don’t have an identity service. It’s wild that someone from Wayfair asked for your social.

• jeffw@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Just to add, credit limits vary wildly between card issuers. There’s often no rhyme or reason as to why some give such a higher limit. My cards range from like 4k to 12k