Abortion rights group places remaining 15 Conservatives on list of anti-choice MPs after vote on ‘fetal rights’ bill

• Dearche@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

I thought this sort of extremism was more of a feature of the States, but to think that it had infected our country as well to such a degree. The hilarious thing is that it was the religious figures that were originally pro-choice decades ago and were one of the deciding factors why abortions were originally legalized.

It’s hard to imagine that this is considered a right wing issue rather than something radical, but more and more it feels like the right are defining themselves through the act of degrading personal freedoms and rolling back the clock wherever they can to the Victorian era.

• MercuryUprising@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

It didn’t “infect” anything. It was always here. I noticed it when I moved from Vancouver to Calgary as a kid. If you live in one of Canada’s three major cities, you just aren’t exposed to it, but the second you get into the suburbs or further, it’s on full display. There’s a reason we had Harper for an entire decade, gagging scientists, cutting corporate taxes, cuts to education and health care, and driving profits into the hands of the rich.

• Dearche@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I suppose that’s true. Harper specifically is a good example of that after all, as you say.