• ᴄʜᴏᴋɪᴅᴀʀ@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 months ago

Really don’t get what all the fuss regarding Sync is about. There are plenty of alternatives out there, free or not. Maybe someone can explain what I’m missing?

• RaoulDook@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

Closed source app for an open source social media platform, and monetizing a free + open source social media platform with subscriptions and ads would be my guess. Of course we all have the choice not to use it. Infinity seems pretty good to me so far.

• uberkalden@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      11 months ago

No idea. It’s a better app than the open ones. Don’t like it? Don’t use it. How does this stuff get up voted so much?

• fidodo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

The way I see it, FOSS is like a public option. It’s very important to provide a baseline functionally that paid apps need to exceed to be competitive. That’s a great thing, but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong for paid apps to exist that provide a more polished experience, and if you can’t afford it, the ads really aren’t that intrusive, but if they annoy too much you can just use FOSS.

What’s great about Lenny is that this choice cannot be taken away from us. There will always be competition both FOSS and paid because lemmy is an open platform and healthy competition is a great thing.

• Radxical@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        11 months ago

People have a hate boner for non-FOSS. There are no other high quality Lemmy apps. Choice is only an illusion. Now go to the app store and download your mandatory Sync app /s

People on the internet tend to latch onto memes for the hell of it. Do they really care about it? Probably not. It’s just the topic of the week, like X, Threads, the Titanic, etc. I would hope that people would be a lot less harsh to the Sync developer…I doubt that the people fanning the anti-Sync flames are doing it to try and lower prices.

• keyez@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

I think it was one of the most popular reddit third-party apps so everyone is excited for the Lemmy version but I have never used it