I don’t have any other servers that i could run the whole time so it should just be based on one single device,

I did it with Lemmy Easy Deploy

• Mike@postit.quantentoast.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Don’t worry, nothing is easy in the beginning and yes, some docs are not up to date because Lemmy has such a steep development curve and therefore frequent changes.

[…] i think i might try to do it again tomorrow after the frustration of failure of today is gone and i have some more motivation.

Do have any other self hosting experience? Maybe a software that is a bit more easy to handle would be a good starter. With that, you can experiment and learn a bit, before starting a (long term) project that requires proxy, database, frontend, backend and configs to make them work together. Not to speak from the maintenance.

Is it okay if i just ask my questions to you directly in this thread?

Sure thing. I can recommend the Lemmy admin matrix chat as well (if you’re a matrix user).

Do you mean DynDNS with the automatic updates?

What I mean is: best case is your provider offers an api which allows you to update the DNS records by running a simple script. What I would not recommend is using something like mylemmy.dyndns.org (or similar services) for a Lemmy instance.

• Micromot@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      11 months ago

I was talking more about dyndns in my router but i think you mean something different. Could you explain what dns records are please?

I have no real prior self hosting experience just some starter projects for raspi, but now I’m a bit more determined as i saw how many people are ready to help me from this thread