So I checked out reddit after a long time and was going through the top of r/videogames subreddit and I could clearly see a pattern in most of the posts there. Posts were mostly like “what game ______ for you?” or “what game _____ like this?” Now I could be wrong but it doesn’t feel ‘organic’ (if that’s correct way to put it). It’s like these are put up intentionally. Thoughts?

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Yep that’s why I’ve always thought it was weird people dislike targeted ads. I prefer watching a well made gaming or weeb ad vs feminine hygiene or car ads.

I don’t mind the targeted ads but I do hate the pushy ads that are unavoidable and that’s why I use unblock etc. Banner ads didn’t bother me much, the tiny strip of ad at the bottom of my lemmy app doesn’t bother me cause it supports the creator. The unskipable video ads and pop ups when I’m browsing do annoy me.

• Nepenthe@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

I agree with all your other statements, but offer you this one counterpoint: you’re getting the interesting ones.

Some program out there calculated once that *I* have a low to moderate chance of being female, but very little of anything else I look up could be considered advertiser friendly. Their only option remaining was to make all my targeted ads dumbass sweatshop clothes and feminine hygiene products forever.

• Riven@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Yea it’s unfortunate how that works. I rarely see ads anyways at home since I have unlock and the full suite of privacy apps.

I do enjoy watching cartoon network and their ads when I’m at a hotel on vacation. It’s nostalgic.