• Chev@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

If you have a job that society needs, that pays well, that you are good at and you also love doing it, you have accomplished life.

Please note that it is totally fine to achieve those four criteria from different regular activities.

• datelmd5sum@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

I develop billing systems. If you’ve received a bill from e.g. your ISP, I might have been a part of making that system work. I get paid about the same as a doctor, but I spend about 85% of my work time gossiping / posting memes with my coworkers and watching youtube. I’d say I’m OK at my job, on many occasions I’m probably the first person in the world to solve (but also encounter) that particular problem.

I was a gifted child, but I ended up in this job because I’m lazy and a procrastinator. Never finished college, stopped caring when I started getting paid.

• Chev@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Are you happy about what you are doing during your job? Problemsolving, gossiping and everything else.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Well I think I’m on the right career path, but maybe not with the right employer. I’m also trying to finish my degree and move more into designing new systems rather than fixing problems in existing ones.

• Cryophilia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

but I spend about 85% of my work time gossiping / posting memes with my coworkers and watching youtube.

Probably not very good at your job then??

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

The gossip / memes is more significant for the business than you might think. It’s information sharing between teams and corporate levels that’s very hard to achieve by some predefined weekly sync meetings, townhalls etc.

• zarkanian@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

I spend about 85% of my work time gossiping / posting memes with my coworkers and watching youtube.

That sounds like it would get boring as shit in no time.