I have LineageOS installed on my phone and it has almost weekly updates. Since the device is quite budget, I believe its memory can be damaged by such often updates so I’m not updating it for 2 months already. But there are security fixes and patches in newer versions so I do want to update. My question is: do I have to install every update one by one (there are like 8 of them lol) or can I just install the newest version? All of the updates are minor of course. There are no Android version jumps

EDIT: I installed the latest version as everyone suggested and everything seems to be working fine. Thank you all for help

• person@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

AFAIK LineageOS updates supply the whole system every time, that’s why it’s always so large. You should be fine skipping a couple. (fine in this way anyway)

That being said, I really doubt you could ever write enough data to harm the mass storage or RAM of your device before you have to switch phones because it stops being supported, or you drop it on concrete, etc.

• GolfNovemberUniform@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

I am almost forced to use my phone for as long as possible because of financial reasons. This one was bought used and it’s 3 years old already but I’m planning to use it for at least 2 more years. That means keeping the memory in good condition is important for me. Same goes for its overall condition and structural integrity (lol) too

• person@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        3 months ago

Sources vary, and admittedly I didn’t research this thoroughly, but even old articles say that flash memory (which is what almost all smartphones use, I think) is expected to work for 10,000 or 100,000 complete writes. That is just sooo much data, even if your phone only has 16GB or something

You should research more on this, and decide if it will be fine for you for the next X years you wish to use this phone.

https://superuser.com/questions/17350/whats-the-life-expectancy-of-an-sd-card#17377

• s38b35M5@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Agreed. This is not a concern worthy of modifying your behavior over. Update or don’t, but don’t worry about the max writes of your phone storage unless you happen to be serving Wikipedia or running a public DNS server out of your pocket.

• shortwavesurfer@monero.town
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Yes, you can absolutely skip updates and just install the most recent one and it will be fine. As long as there’s no Android version jumps, that takes special work.

• XEAL@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Fuck it, I’m on the last LineageOS 18.1 release available for my phone, zero updates.

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I don’t think your storage can be worn out or at least it can’t be worn out easily.

As far as updates go there is no reason to update right away. There are sometimes security fixes but most of them are not anything you need to stress about

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

There is a type of memory called eMMC. It’s used in the absolute cheapest phones and it can wear out in like 30 formats afaik

• Possibly linux@lemmy.zip
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I could be wrong but I’ve never heard of a phones internal storage wearing out. Also eMMC can take a beating and certainly can take 30 formats. If it wore out so quickly downloading apps and using files would be a problem.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

It’s not about read/write cycles but about formatting partitions smh. Idk how it works. Tbh I don’t really believe in such quick wear either