I made this jacket from leftover fabric pieces that were too small to be used as masks during Covid restrictions. Then I dyed it all dark blue and padded the jacket with leftover wool batting.

Last came the embroidery, call it embroidered quilting through all layers. It is in off-white cotton floss, two strands. Stem stitch, wave stitch, knot stitch … I forget what I used. Couching too, I think. Need to check. ;)

• catsdoingcatstuff@lemmy.nz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I like that you created a neat jacket out of scraps. How did you make the fabric? Was it a large piece you quilted and then cut into the pattern?

• Wen AstarOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

No, it was the other way round. I first sewed all pieces to a flat fabric, then cut and assembled the pieces and dyed the outer fabric and lining. After I got the uniform dark colour I was looking for (it took three tries), I put in the wool batting (I used an old roving with a lot of meadow still in it), and sewed that up.

Only then I realized that I had to quilt, in order to keep the roving where it belonged. I designed the front flap first and got a bit carried away. After stitching that, I did the back, with slightly less dense motives, and last the interior flap. There I told my designer-self that the intense front-flap needed some negative space to get full effect (and as to not overtax my aching fingers), so I just put in enough leaves to keep the roving from slipping.

The sleeves are without batting, they only are cotton on cotton and therefore less prone to slip, so the cuffs were all that was needed. Happily, or I would still be not-finishing them today. :D