My PC is getting on a little, it’s running on an i7-4790k, 16gb ddr4, and a GTX 970. right now, it’s struggling some in most games even though I don’t play any triple A titles. What would be a sensible upgrade that wouldn’t get totally bottlenecked by the CPU?

In most games I’m playing the CPU is pinned at around 25% while my card is maxed at 100% 3d and vmem usage so I’m fairly sure it’s just my card that’s the main limiting factor.

• atocci@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

Maybe a GTX 1660-Ti if you can find one for a good price?

Edit: An Intel Arc A750 might be the better value if you’re buying new, though

• Mesophar@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Or even see if you can find an RX 6600. Around US$200 right now, and should give decent performance without being horribly bottlenecked

• leave_it_blank@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Can confirm. Had the same CPU, and a rx6600 without xt. Cyberpunk ran at 50 FPS in high details. At 1080p.

Great value card for this processor.

• NaClKnight@kbin.run
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Yeah i agree with this.

The RX 6600 is the best ultra budget (under $200) upgrade, though the RX 6650 XT and RX 7600 project to last longer as viable upgrades and are still under $250.

The 6600 is slightly weaker than the 5700 XT which is still a valid card today

• supernicepojo@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

In that same vein; a 2060 super was what I recently upgraded an older ryzen system with. Completely worth it considering I got it for $140.