This is something I’ve always struggled with and I think it’s put my daughter in a spot where she’s very reluctant to do anything by herself.

Don’t get me wrong, she plays well with others and her younger brother, but when he’s not available she basically just wants to play with me rather than going off on her own and playing by herself.

Now I don’t mind, but I wouldn’t mind a bit of…not playing time but also I’m worried it’s going to affect her going down the line.

Thoughts?

• paddirn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

I’ve got three kids and it’s different for each of them. One wants constant attention and always wants to play with somebody else, one likes talking and occasionally wants to play, another is fine being off on their own for the most part and we play in rare spurts together. Sometimes they play with each other, sometimes it’s like I have to schedule out time with them because everybody wants my time. I do want them to find some kind of balance, as one of the jobs of parenthood is preparing these kids to one day be independent.