It’s a significant reversal from recent history: President Joe Biden is struggling with young voters but performing better than most Democrats with older ones.

• FutileRecipe@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

no one is promising to end democracy

Didn’t one candidate say they would literally be a dictator…“but only on day one.” I find it hard to trust anyone who ways they’d be a dictator any amount of time, and then stop. Dictatorship and democracy are polar opposites.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

with the rise of executive power from executive orders, every president is a dictator say one, rolling back previous administration policy and implementing their own.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

every president is a dictator day one, rolling back previous administration policy and implementing their own.

That’s not what a dictatorship is. A dictatorship is where one person (the dictator) has almost complete control over the government with few, if any, restrictions. Executive orders can only be within the President’s authority, and can also be overturned by Congress or the Supreme Court. To link executive orders to a dictatorship shows a misunderstanding of executive orders, dictatorships, or both.

Also, in the quote of being a “dictator for just one day,” executive orders were not mentioned, if I remember correctly. And no democratic President should ever think of themselves as a dictator or wish they were one.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          edit-2
          3 months ago

To link executive orders to a dictatorship shows a misunderstanding of executive orders, dictatorships, or both.

Also, in the quote of being a “dictator for just one day,” executive orders were not mentioned

no one is accusing trump of being a knowledgeable statesman.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

no one is accusing trump of being a knowledgeable statesman.

That was actually you who linked them, not him. And they shouldn’t be linked. Executive orders are not a dictatorship. But let’s say he meant, even though he’s famous for saying what he means with no filter.

Even after campaigning for it, holding the office for 4 years, presumably keeping an eye on his successor for 4 years, and now campaigning for it again? You’d think he’d know the basics of what is a democracy, what is a dictatorship, what executive orders do, and what do the different branches of government roughly do…you know, the basics that were taught in middle school, and elaborated on in high school. These aren’t niche laws or obscure cases we’re talking about, but what should be common sense to the common man…much more so for someone who’s running for the job. Willful ignorance is not an excuse, especially at that level…if that’s what this is.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

i think he’s a dummy, and he may be operating on my folksy definition of “dictator”. my assumption is just as valid as yours.

so it’s dumb to say it that way, but i don’t believe he ever said he’s planning to “end democracy” or even meant to imply that.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

That’s not what a dictatorship is. A dictatorship is where one person (the dictator) has almost complete control over the government with few, if any, restrictions.

they are literally creating policy by dictate. your pet definition seems crafted to exclude this obvious use of dictate.

link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

they are literally creating policy by dictate. your pet definition seems crafted to exclude this obvious use of dictate.

Someone who “dictates” is not necessarily a dictator. These are not my “pet definitions” but accepted definitions of what a dictator/dictatorship is in the political sphere. It’s called context.

No one in the government should say “I’m going to dictate policy that I have control over, but this policy can be overturned by the other two branches. Thus, I’m a dictator.” That’s not what that word means. You are trying to use a nonspecific definition out of context to justify defending a wannabe dictator.

• Sybil@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

These are not my “pet definitions” but accepted definitions of what a dictator/dictatorship is in the political sphere. It’s called context.

can you substantiate this claim, that governing by dictate is not an accepted definition"in the political sphere". while we’re on it, what do you define as “the political sphere”?

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                3 months ago

can you substantiate this claim, that governing by dictate is not an accepted definition"in the political sphere".

Because it’s context. No, I don’t think there’s an official “when talking about X, only this definition of this word can mean this” book. But I honestly feel like you’re arguing in bad faith or being obtuse on purpose. For example, I feel like you’re arguing “a bad story came out about republicans…how do we know they meant members of the GOP? One definition is “favoring, supporting, or advocating a republic,” so just maybe they’re talking about people who like the game (or characters in) Star Wars: The Old Republic… that’s about republics, and they never mentioned party…now that we’re on about parties, maybe they meant a rave?”

If you’re not doing that on purpose, let me assure you that when people are talking about a leader of a government (as the President is) and the word “dictator” comes up about them, no one ever means merely someone who dictates. They always mean leader of a dictatorship.

while we’re on it, what do you define as “the political sphere”?

Relating to politics, especially members of/in charge of politics.