Hi everyone

I am pretty new to all of this, so I’m currently in what I consider my “sandbox phase” of hosting a Lemmy instance.

Before promoting my instance to others I want to ensure that it’s working as it should and federation is quick and “in sync” with the major instances.

Looking at the logs I see federation is at it and working at approx 4-8 req/s - but is there a way to speed this up?

Would more workers (and thus more cores on the server) in postgres speed things up? Or perhaps more parallel workers?

As stated I’m pretty new to this, and when searching for similar questions on lemmy/github I can’t seem to find the answer to this specific question - it’s usually implied that one should know all of this before hosting.

I’ve looked into how postgres is working, but am unsure if this is the only parameter that can be changed to speed up federation.

• kense@lmmy.dkOP
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

Allright, so this is isn’t the parameter that’ll speed things up by itself.

I set it to 10 (a bit more cautious than you, but this is somewhat new ground for me) and didn’t record more req/s, but it feels like the instance is a bit slower in terms of loading times. After I have tucked the kids in tonight I’ll snoop around netdata (where I’m monitoring the servers) to see what (or if something) has changed.