When people post YouTube links… is there a cool open source way to watch it on mobile without going through youtube? Because when I click on a YouTube link and I’m on my phone and it immediately gives me an ad it’s pissing me off like in a huge way… is there a way to bypass ads without an ad blocker on my phone

• solrize@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

On Android, install newpipe from f-droid and YouTube links should go to it automatically. No ads, lets you download videos, subscriptions are entirely local on your device, but right now display of comments is messed up. The last isn’t a big deal for me. Ymmv.

• yukichigai@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Seconding NewPipe. It’s the easiest to get set up, and once you get it set up you basically never have to touch it again.

YouTube Revanced is more user friendly and has more features once it’s set up, but the install process is more involved and updating it essentially requires you to redo the install process again. It’s nothing crazy, but NewPipe is the “set it and forget it” option IMO.

• fuzzy_feeling@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

i’m using it for a long time and always thought google wouldn’t let you open youtube links in other apps.

i always copied the link and pasted it into newpipe. thanks to your comment i checked and diabled youtube automatic opening.

• sin_free_for_00_days@sopuli.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

Tubular on F-Droid is a fork of Newpipe (which is great too), “A fork of NewPipe that implements SponsorBlock and ReturnYouTubeDislike”

It’s my favorite front end so far.

• governorkeagan@lemdro.id
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Yes! You can use an alternative front end - you’ll have to watch in your browser.

There is a bot on some communities that will post the Piped Version. The other option is to use a version of Invidious which you can find here.

Clicking on a YouTube link will take you to the YouTube app if you have it. You’d have to copy and paste the link into the search fields of the above.

The other option is to use xvanced. I have not used it in a long time and I’m not sure of the current status but it should work.

• bionicjoey@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

On Android there are lots of ways. Newpipe or Grayjay is probably the easiest. Revanced is a little more complex but is also good. You could also use Firefox with ublock origin.

• TragicNotCute@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            3 months ago

It was a neutral impact.

I made the comment because I don’t understand your motivation here. You’re making contrary statements while asking for a solution. I came to offer one, but decided not to because it’s ad blocker centric.

• gimpchrist @lemmy.worldOP
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              3 months ago

You don’t have to understand my motivation. I’m not making contrary statements to what I need and want… and people here on this thread have answered my question without being snarky about it… thank you though. I don’t have to use Firefox or ad blockers on my mobile phone if I don’t want to, and it doesn’t have to be a Justified reason…thanks!

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Actually, with the help of the nicer people on this post I am now watching YouTube without ads on new pipe thanks so much for being a jerk though I hope it made your day better

• jol
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

If you’re on android, you can remove the setting that opens YouTube links on the native app. My YouTube links always open in firefox, with unblock and in a private window. So no ads, no permanent cookies. Lately the quality has been going down as Google forces adblockers users to have a worse experience, but still works.

• nutbutter
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

If on Android, use UntrackMe. When clicking on any YouTube link, or even Reddit, Twitter etc., select this app to open the link with. It will automatically redirect you to a privacy friendly frontend. Link YouTube to Invidious. You can customise the instances you want to use.

• Old_Dude@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Another option other than new pipe is to download a YouTube apk and the revanced app. Ad free YouTube is what comes out of that.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

This solution sounds easiest but also must technical haha I still don’t know how to use apks or whatever I don’t even really know what they are but I think I got it figured out anyway! Thank you for the replies

• nfsu2@feddit.cl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Newpipe, Libretube, Clipious. Those are front ends for youtube. I would recommend reading about them and cheling them out.