I was distrohopping because I was getting sick of windows 10 and installed pop os on my secondary SSD and I started getting audio crackling issues. Then I realized even back on the Windows 10 SSD I had the same audio crackling issue. I formatted Pop OS to Bazzite and it persists. Formatted the Windows 10 SSD to Windows 11 and it persists. Now I have permanent audio crackling issues whenever I use the speakers on my monitor (headphones are fine). I’ve tried everything found online: changing the affinity in audiodg.exe one by one, changing the hz on the speakers, uninstalled sound drivers from device manager, tried using EasyEffects on the linux OSes. nothing helps other than restarting my pc and enjoying crackling free audio for about 10 minutes before it starts again :(

Other people had a similar issue on PopOS and fixed it by changing the kernel they had installed but I tried that and it didnt help and iirc bazzite has a more updated kernel than popOS and that didn’t help either

This is my hardware:

• deltapi@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

If you plug the monitor into a different device (NSwitch, BD-player, Fire stick) does it stop crackling?

• XNX@slrpnk.netOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

oh i thought those were audio mixer devices or something because ive never seen someone write Nswitch or BD-player before. im guessing you mean a nintendo switch and idk bluray player? I tried it with laptop and theres no crackling

• deltapi@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            3 months ago

I did some googling, and apparently many people have reported audio crackling/popping with 3070s. I don’t know what your issue is in particular, but I would encourage you to look into MSI vs MSI-X interrupts, see if perhaps the audio part of your GPU driver isn’t using them.

This is old and is talking about running in a VM, but the core bits about checking if MSI-X interrupts are on and turning them on should still apply. https://forums.unraid.net/topic/55011-solved-how-to-make-linux-guest-enable-msi-function-on-the-gpu-audio-device/

Also worth checking is that you have resizable BAR enabled. Run

nvidia-smi -q -x

And look for bar1_memory_usage to be over 256MB