• Taako_Tuesday@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 months ago

Yeah I got into lockpicking a few years ago, figured out how to pick all the random master locks i had lying around the house, and immediately after spending like 250 dollars on some specialty, hard-to-pick locks, I lost interest. Still keep my lockpicking set in my car in case anyone locks themselves out of the house or something, but the dopamine i got from picking those first few locks is gone. On to the next thing.

• Jtskywalker@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

This is something that has always interested me but I’ve never tried. Any recommendations on a set of picks to start with?

• Taako_Tuesday@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I got a cheap set off of amazon at the time, which worked fine, and it looks like someone has already provided a link to a more reputable business. Most sets will have the same core of tools in them, which will be the most useful, plus maybe some obscure shapes in there that serve a niche purpose.

If you’re interested in getting into the hobby, there’s a discord server called Lock Pickers United that ranks basically every lock in existence on difficulty, and will hand out “belts” a la martial arts, when you can show proof that you’ve picked a lock from different tiers. I never got very far but it seemed fun.

• Sabata11792@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Same, I have a few locks I don’t have the keys for and even broke into my friends car for them once.

Im not good at it but I can atleast pop open cheap locks no problem.