Hallo Leute! Ich heiße Andrew und ich komme aus England. I’ll spare you the A1 level Deutsch.

I apologise if this isn’t the right place to talk about this but I thought whoever is here are the people I want to be talking to — I’m a graphic designer/web developer and I’m wanting to take the plunge and move to Berlin later this year.

I guess I’m just looking for general advice and to get a feeling of what to be aware of when I’m doing so, are some places better to live than others now? What’s the feeling for tech/design jobs currently?

It would be great to have discussions with people currently living in Berlin and hopefully make some new friends — I’m looking to visit next month for a week so will be looking to visit design studios and make general connections too.

Vielen dank, andrew

• mate_classic@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Others already said that that housing is tight but some general notes:

• looking outside the S-Bahn-Ring makes finding something much easier, but you will be further away from the center
    • the “center” of Berlin is mostly for tourists. No need to go there on a day by day basis. There are many Kiez (city block) centers that are much more interesting.
    • take stock of public transport stops in the vicinity of potential appartments as having a metro or S-Bahn nearby makes getting to places much easier
    • if you are looking for cool, artsy, hipster stuff, go east. If you are looking for steady, German stereotype, go west.
    • try not to rely on a car. Public transportation and bikes will get you to all places much faster most of the time.
    • tech jobs are abundant. For design, I don’t know.
    • andrew@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is very helpful, thanks so much. I did think about going further out just to get my foot in the door so to speak — I’ll take a look and see what the east has to offer. I can’t drive either way so I’ll be getting a bike when I’m there. Also great to hear about tech jobs — I’m hoping to find something that combines the two in some way. Really appreciate it!