Just more AAA bullshit…

And I’m sure a ton of gamers who will reward this behavior too.

• bitwaba@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I played through it mostly fine about 2 months ago. My PC is pretty beefy, and I had random lock ups (from what I know of Helldivers on AMD cards now, I’m going to guess it was the Global Illumination setting being enabled), but I was able to put in good 3 and 4 hr sessions.

• thisbenzingring@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

Amd processor and Nvidia video card, I don’t have problems with either game (played through both Jedi Survivor games recently).

• Crowfiend@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

Likely less of a hardware thing and more of a, “made with a ten year old engine that was discontinued seven years ago.”

Originally I was gonna say Unreal Engine 5 only has a smallish performance hit when Lumen Global Illumination is enabled, but when I looked up the helldivers engine, they outright cite its discontinuing for, “not being able to compete against UE and Unity.”

Edit: the engine is Autodesk Stingray, since I failed to name it.

Edit 2: apparently Helldivers 2 was in production since before Stingray was discontinued, but still, why’d they try to put GI in such an old engine? Did nobody consider the stress a new lighting model would apply to an engine that barely existed before the idea of GI?

• bitwaba@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I’ve got a 5800x3d with 7900xt on Arch Linux (btw) running KDE Plasma in Wayland. The only 2 games I’ve had lock up my system in the last year since I’ve owned the video card is Jedi Survivor and Helldivers 2, so my assumption is that they share some kind of bad call to the card somewhere.

And yeah, as far as the stingray shit goes, you’re not the first person to question their commitment to stick with it.