After the union sent a cautionary message about the studios’ “playbook,” the group representing those companies in negotiations said, “Our only playbook is getting people back to work.”

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

A day before the Writers Guild of America is set to meet with the group representing Hollywood studios and streamers in contract negotiations, the union is warning its members that management may not be willing yet to cede serious ground.

The message arrived prior to a planned Friday meeting between leaders for the WGA and the AMPTP, which will be the first gathering of the warring parties since the union called a strike on May 2.

AMPTP president Carol Lombardini requested the meeting with the union to discuss negotiations, the WGA told its members on Tuesday.

“We challenge the studios and AMPTP to come to the meeting they called for this Friday with a new playbook: Be willing to make a fair deal and begin to repair the damage your strikes and your business practices have caused the workers in this industry,” the negotiating committee said.

The union additionally claimed that “every step of the way through this struggle, the AMPTP has run its tired anti-union playbook straight out of the 2007/08 strike.” Noting that the writers’ strike has lasted 94 days, the negotiating committee added, “We have not come all this way, and sacrificed this much, to half-save ourselves.”

As THR reported on Wednesday, writers, including former WGA leaders, initially greeted the news that the AMPTP and their union would meet on Friday with cautious optimism.

I’m a bot and I’m open source!