PipeWire 0.3.77 (2023-08-04)

This is a quick bugfix release that is API and ABI compatible with previous 0.3.x releases.

Highlights

• Fix a bug in ALSA source where the available number of samples was miscaluclated and resulted in xruns in some cases.
  • A new L permission was added to make it possible to force a link between nodes even when the nodes can’t see each other.
  • The VBAN module now supports midi send and receive as well.
  • Many cleanups and small fixes.
  • pallettownbry@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Perhaps a shot in the dark, but does anyone know if this update does anything to change the sound issues on Samsung laptops? For example, I have a GalaxyBook3 Pro 360, and it doesn’t matter what distro I use; I cannot get audio working. I spent 8 hours one day just going through forums and trying various fixes but could never get anything to work.

• kono_throwaway_da@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      11 months ago

Is it because of missing firmware? From the Arch wiki on ALSA:

sof-firmware is required for some newer laptop models (mainly since 2019) because they implement their drivers with firmware provided by the Sound Open Firmware project.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

I swear I tried all of that and uninstalled the existing firmware, and pulled the newer files. I might give it another go, but I saw on a thread that this is a specific issue with Galaxy Book devices. Someone had a detailed step-by-step guide to get the audio working; I tried it, but it didn’t.

link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 months ago

Yeah, it’s such a small percentage of users affected too. I have other laptops that run various distros of Linux without issues, but my Galaxy Book can’t get any audio unless I plug in speakers or headphones.

Thank you for the advice.