• Cruxifux@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    3 months ago

If those states allow first cousin marrying then yeah, that’s cousin fucker states.

Most of the world doesn’t live in the states man, did you think naming other states was going to offend people? You guys and all your weird hillbilly sex stuff need to get your shit together man. It’s embarrassing to see.

• Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      3 months ago

It’s legal in most of the world, including most of Europe. I don’t think legality is necessarily the greatest guide for how often it actually happens or social attitudes towards it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cousin_marriage

There’s a map in there too of prevalence though and United States isn’t anywhere close to the most prevelant, it’s extremely rare. What’s going on down in Italy, Spain, Portugal, and Belgium though?

• Cruxifux@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Ya know, there’s definitely some towns where I’m from that have shallow gene pools, not gonna lie. But I live in Alberta, we’re sometimes the Texas of Canada, and sometimes the Alabama.

• ripcord@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

Holy crap, am I reading this right? In Pakistan, more than 50% of marriages are between cousins??

• Ranvier@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

That chart technically includes second degree cousins and any closer relations. So if you don’t count second degree cousins it might be less. But yeah there’s a tradition of parellel cousin marriage especially in parts of the middle east, north Africa, and south Asia.

• Cruxifux@feddit.nl
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          3 months ago

Yeah I actually knew that one from when I used to listen to Joe Rogan and Gavin Mcinnes was on there. He’s a fucking goof but that fact was disturbing

• barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

Dunno about Belgium but Italy, Spain and Portugal have quite communal family structures, at least by European standards. Not necessarily in the living together sense but in the you’ll definitely see the whole extended shebang every other holiday sense.

• Fredselfish@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

You read any classic novels from England? Marrying cousins is quite normal at one point in human history. I guess it still is in some backward states.

• RedditWanderer@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

It’s not just England. Marrying cousins was considered common practice among royalty and nobles in the past, not “normal” for everyday people.

They would inbreed to try to keep blood “pure”, or to keep the family in power, or to sell off their family for power. People knew a long time ago this was bad and caused health problems, but the rich kept doing it because theyre egoistical maniacs.

We don’t have monarchs and royalty anymore, we can do away with inbreeding completely. The fact some conservatives still defend it is ridiculous.