• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

Nope, I guess Linux is not ready for a DAW yet. With reaper I’m getting errors that Jack is not running even though the readme tells me that Jack is a optional dependency.

➜ jeena@William ~ '/home/jeena/Downloads/reaper714_linux_x86_64/reaper_linux_x86_64/REAPER/reaper'
          Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
          Cannot connect to server request channel
          jack server is not running or cannot be started
          JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
          JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
          error creating client
          LC_NUMERIC / LANG is set to 'sv_SE.UTF-8', overriding LC_NUMERIC environment to POSIX

• Jeena@jemmy.jeena.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 months ago

Urgh, the first impression after 3 minutes is not good. First I clicked on https://www.zrythm.org/en/download.html and was greeted with a subscription model which makes me very confused. Afterwards it seems like it’s only for the installer, but I don’t understand why I should use a installer if it’s on flatpack.

But then I install it from flatpack and start it. It says it’s very intuitive. I was able to create a new MIDI instrument, a bass, and then see the keyboard and grid where I can theoretically play it. But I can’t find a way to select any instrument.

After clicking around a bit I went on YouTube to find someone explaining how to do it and found https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoP8on5ChUQ who explains that the free version doesn’t let you save anything. It’s a 3 years old video but I’m thinking probably I should try if the flatpack version lets me save or not.

So I look around and see the hamburger menu top right where I hope a save option would be. I click the icon, the app freezes and then crashes. So yeah … I guess that’s what you need the payed installer for?