• Gexilla@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    3 months ago

I haven’t seen any mentions of soy milk in this thread. I have it unsweetened with some fruit Müsli and even in coffee/tea and I’m good to go

• FrederikNJS@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      3 months ago

My personal opinion is that soy milk tastes like grass… I’ve tried it in coffee, alone, on cereal, but I just can’t avoid feeling like someone dumped a handful of freshly cut grass in…

Almond is pretty good on it’s own, but in coffee it tastes like marzipan… It’s not bad, but not the taste I want in my coffee.

Oat is what tastes most like cow’s milk to me.

• gramie@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        3 months ago

I second oat milk. Not watery like soy or almond milk. The other problem with almond milk is the insane amount of water that it takes to grow almonds.

• Applejuicy@feddit.nl
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        3 months ago

And contains more protein. Generally I’d say the best option, no clue why people are so hung up on oat specifically.

• iheartneopets@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

I agree. I really like soy milk and was always so confused by the hype for new alternatives—not confused that people might like something else, mind you, just confused at the overall hype, to the extent that people forget soy exists and is better at many of the things the newer alternatives lack. Protein content and water usage being chief among them.

• iheartneopets@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              3 months ago

You can buy various flavors, though? Just like any other types of alt milks, there’s kinds that are sweetened and made to taste like vanilla, or kind that’s just sweetened, or chocolate soy, or unsweetened

• queermunist she/her@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          3 months ago

What funny soy milk are you drinking? It tastes distinct, for sure, rather than being sweetish like oat or almond milk. But in terms of viscosity soy milk has them beat.