• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s fascinating.

NVRO being optional annoys me. I’m always debating whether I should std::move the return value just in case, but if the compiler performs NVRO (which it probably does), this may be a pessimization right? Ugh.

• perivesta@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I think you should never std::move return values. Afaik every modern compiler does NRVO and manually moving prevents it. And on the offchance you need to use a compiler that optimizes less, that one copy most likely is the least of the performance concerns.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Afaik every modern compiler does NRVO and manually moving prevents it.

Yeah this is what bothers me. std::move could make things worse, but not if the alternative is a copy. But you’re probably right that any self-respecting compiler nowadays would do NRVO.

• gracicotOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think compiler move return value by default, so even without NRVO you should never move a return value when it’s a local non reference variable.

• tunetardis@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Well the test3 example FTA gives a case where NRVO would not happen because of the conditional return value. Are you suggesting that you need not std::move even in this case?

• gracicotOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I would still say “no” since they are local objects and they are gonna be moved from implicitly anyway